>

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

on capitalization and typing speed

both joel and gus have commented in their blogs at one time or another that they wish i would use capital letters in my posts. ok. here's why i don't. it's not a real good reason, but it works for me. when i first started banging around the web, i used a DAMNED SLOW modem to communicate with (anyone remember 9.6K modems?). when popping into bulletin boards, and message boards, the only way to get a word in was to type as fast as you could, hit send, and hope the message loaded before there were so many messages that yours scrolled right off the screen before anyone could read it. i found that my normal 60 word per minute typing speed cranked up to around 70-75 wpm if i followed the lead of many posters, and quit using capital letters. that and all of the stupid lol and roflmao acronyms. i've since weaned myself off of those, but the caps thing is still part of my web personae. however, noting that we are now in the broadband era, and i can take as long to type as i want, since the posts won't scroll away like they used to, i shall endeavor to utilize at least one Capital letter per post, hoping this will in some way make my screeds a little more readable. perhaps i'll even insert mUltiple caps at some point.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gus Van Horn said...

"perhaps i'll even insert mUltiple caps at some point."

Heh! Done like a true submariner! I've obviously let down my guard a bit since being in or I wouldn't have *said* all small letters annoyed me in the first place!

I have seen the butt of your joke, and it is -- um -- the mirror!

-- Gus

4/20/05, 2:10 PM  
Blogger bhd said...

And to think a simple personal typing class in high school could have solved that entire dilemma. Well, that and 20 years working as a computer programmer...has made me an excellent and speedy typist. Folks don't like to IM with me because I can type so fast. It's not something I ever tried to do, but when you have to type in hundreds of lines of assembler code, it does a whole lot to hone your skills. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

4/21/05, 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bo,

with typing skills like that, you missed your calling. you could have been a Yeo. :-)

4/21/05, 11:18 AM  
Blogger bothenook said...

hop, you must have forgotten all the times i was in the ship's office typing stuff for the engineer. i was stupid enough to get caught typing in the det while waiting to meet the boat for the first time. word got out. and of course, while taking the aptitude tests, i throttled back and only scored 55 wpm on a manual, but since i still had my testes, they decided i should be a machinest mate instead. damn, i love it when i get handed lines to smack!

4/21/05, 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home