>

Thursday, January 25, 2007

i'm inspired. no joke here

i was at the health club this evening, and wandered into the sauna for a couple of minutes after working out. there was a young pup and a high school football coach/assistant coach sweating in there. they were talking about getting ready for next year's football season, and also exploring the use of wrestling season as a way to get faster and in better shape.
i asked the pup if he planned on trying sports in college. he said there were a couple of schools talking to him, but after listening to the president's state of the union speach the other night, he is seriously considering holding off on college for 4 years to join the marines.
the coach seemed to have a heart attack when the kid said that. part of the exchange is why i'm inspired. the coach was capping on the kid, telling him he didn't owe the country anything, and that he should get whatever scholarship he could and run with it.

here's what inspired me to post this. this is coming from teenager: "coach, if I don't, who will? this country cannot survive without its military. and I'm young, healthy, and willing to serve my country. how will I be able to look in the mirror when i'm older knowing that my country was at war, and I took the coward's way out?"

bravo zulu kid. and as for the coach, i think he knocked himself about 60 notches down in the eyes of that kid. me, i'm used to it.

good job kid

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Subvet said...

Funny, just when you think there's no hope for the next generation....

1/25/07, 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that. Oorah!

1/26/07, 4:05 PM  
Blogger loddfafnir said...

Glad to hear that story!
On a similar note, my brother-in-law just left for Marine boot camp a few weeks ago.

1/27/07, 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home