>

Sunday, March 09, 2008

how bad things are getting from the gun control lobby

here's an article that i'm lifting in toto from the local paper. my experiences with purchasing anything "gun related" when i lived in Napa County were all negative. as in, no we don't sell stuff to napa county.
crazy. but this dude has at least put a humorous spin to things. he points out the one of the really asinine things that has come about from the whole control issue. read and enjoy:
Italian cobbler threat looms
By Brian Hamlin
Article Launched: 03/09/2008 08:13:37 AM PDT

As a recreational shooter and dedicated armchair adventurer, I delight in prowling through dusty military surplus stores and poring over the mail order surplus catalogs that find their way into my mailbox with alarming regularity.

With the passage of time, however, I've found that regulations have changed drastically as to what sorts of surplus treasures can be ordered from one's favorite catalog of used military hardware.

Many states have enacted tough regulations about what cannot be shipped across their state lines. Although I don't necessarily agree with all of the restrictions, I can understand how some misguided lawmakers might think it best not to ship realistic - but nonfiring - rocket-propelled grenade launchers to California, or surplus East German flare guns to New York.

I was, however, somewhat taken aback last week when, while thumbing through one of my favorite surplus catalogs, I discovered that antique Italian military surplus shoe makers' kits had been placed on the restricted shipping list.

Although not something I would ordinarily purchase, the antique Italian shoe maker's kit with hammers, shoe nails, heavy thread, leather knives and punches seemed like a real bargain at $69.97.

The kit looked pretty innocuous, but it bore not one, but two, restricted shipping warnings.

The first read: "Cannot be sold to minors, convicted felons, those convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or chemically dependent...".

The second warning advised that the kits could not be shipped to Marin, Napa, Yolo or Ventura counties.

A puzzler for sure, amigos.

Do convicted criminals spend all their time feverishly scheming about how to get their hands on antique Italian shoe makers' kits the moment they get out of jail?

Are they going to stroll into the nearest bank with a note that reads, "Gimme the cash. I've got a shoe."

Weird ...

Then there are the county restrictions. Exactly what do Marin, Yolo, Napa and Ventura counties have against antique Italian shoe makers' kits - or is this simply a politically expedient way to discriminate against elderly Italian shoe makers?

Fortunately, there's no restriction on ordering these kits in Solano County and I think I can make a handsome profit by sending off for a dozen or so and then slipping over nearby county lines after dark to peddle my contraband on the mean streets of Davis or Yountville.

"Pssssst! Hey, buddy - lookin' for an antique Italian shoe maker's kit? You got two hundred bucks? Yeah? I think we got a deal ..."

Brian Hamlin can be reached at courts@thereporter.com.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello you old Geezer. As a fellow geezer and member of the "What has the World Come to Club" I really enjoyed your post. If you ever want a partner in crime I would be more than willing to help you sell Italian Shoe Making kits as my part of the resistance movement. Please stop these people - next thing you know they will ban Buggy Whips.

7/9/08, 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home