>

Monday, February 07, 2005

some more about my newly favorite marine general

boy, did i catch some flack this weekend over my remarks about My favorite general. but that's ok, because i stand by what i said, and still think that's the kind of man to lead our troops into battle. if you spend some time bouncing around the blogosphere, you'll come across entries by guys that served with him and would follow him to hell, just to see what's going to happen next.
anyway, Varifrank puts it all into pretty good perspective.
and for another look, check out sunday's ny post. it was written by someone sitting next to our favorite general during the conference. it's a good read

edit: if you are interested in the current dustup regarding our favorite general, and comparisons to the nickleson version of a marine general, check out willyshake's take on the subject. editorial aside here... it's obvious why some of the dudes that were officers in the submarine community were officers and not lowly slime enlisted pukes like me. want to see what the difference is? read some of my entries, then go visit willyshakes or Bubblehead's blogs. wish i was able to put my thoughts down as concisely and eruditely as they do. oh well, some of us recognize we are chainsaws in a scalpel world.

2 Comments:

Blogger WillyShake said...

hey bo, I here what you're saying and agree with you about General Mattis; if you get the chance and are still interested in this story, stop by and see what I wrote earlier: http://unconsideredtrifles.blogspot.com/2005/02/who-is-it-that-hath-warnd-us-to-walls.html

All the best!
--Will
ps: got stocked-up on booz now, you say? hmmm...be right over! LOL.

2/8/05, 12:09 PM  
Blogger WillyShake said...

Bo, You're too kind in your compliments, but trust me, most of my words are window dressing--you have the substance and the HEART that I've always admired about our Enlisted. I would've been nowhere without guys like you, and I'm very flattered that you acknowledge my existence over at "Unconsidered Trifles."

I can think of no better compliment than this from Shakespeare's Henry V:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.

2/10/05, 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home