>

Monday, January 09, 2006

for the true science geeks

i don't know how long i'll keep this posted. it's a real memory hog at around .550 gig. but this is a streaming video we shot not too long ago.
what you will see is the reactor at 50 watts, and then pulsed to about 350 megawatts for around 200 milliseconds. the full width half max time is about 30 milliseconds.
basically what you will see is a reusable nuclear detonation, since the neutron levels during the pulse are nearly those of a sustained supercritical event.
this is just one of the experimental tools i get to play with. any wonder why i love my job?

streaming video
note this is a HUGE file, and it takes a while to buffer. i wouldn't recommend this be tried on a dial up line. just to buffer the stream takes 15 megs, or about 3 1/2 minutes on a t-1 line, since it's uploading from a personal server

let me know what you think.
p.s. that's me laughing at the end of the shot. the person i took in to watch the pulse about crapped his pants when we fired, and i had to razz him.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a nothing, and a waste of time

1/12/06, 1:45 AM  
Blogger bothenook said...

i can see how someone with no technical and/or scientific training could think so. sorry you were disappointed. it still gives me a thrill to watch, since i know what is going on down there when the core is pulsed. thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

1/12/06, 5:17 AM  
Blogger bhd said...

Holy carp, that's a big file. I'll let you know how I liked it when I finally get it downloaded.

1/12/06, 10:00 PM  
Blogger bhd said...

Okay, I didn't crap my pants but I did jump back in my seat.

You know my sister and her husband are nukers, right?

1/12/06, 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. You do get to play with cool toys.

1/14/06, 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home