>

Sunday, November 06, 2005

a quandary

should i buy this:
for my next toy, or perhaps this:
for my next installment in my campaign to maintain my 2nd amendment rights? inquiring minds want to know!

both are .45 acp model 1911 variants.

here's the deal. the springfield armory TRP is a serious firearm. 20 lpi checkering on both the front and back straps of the grip. the grips are a very rough textured plastic, which would almost guarantee gun control. the rear sights are adjustable (always a plus in my book), and are tritium night sites to boot.

the ParaOrdinance is a full sized 745, and i've already got a 745 LDA. i love the smooth double action trigger on the LDA series. the guy that invented it should get an extra tangerine in his stocking this holiday season. it's great. but do i need another para? i like the single stack of both, because even though i wear extra-large gloves, my hands are really paws, not hands in the conventional sense. i.e., mostly palm, with fat stubby fingers. that's why i love shooting the browning hp practical so much. fits my hand.

so, any thinkers with experience with the S.A. line of TRP pistols have any good advice? i like the S.A. with the light rail, not because i have a hankering to be hanging geegaw ninja junk off my gun, but because it adds a couple extra ounces to the front, reducing muzzle flip and increasing on target time. shot one this weekend and really liked it, but it's been through the gunsmithing blackhole already, and i'm not sure i want to spend a boat load of bucks making a new gun better.

i already have one para, and know the limitations and virtues of that platform, but the new extractor that para has come out with really intrigues me.

so what do you gun nuts say? any help for this poor wretch torn between two damned expensive pistols? the real fix would be to buy both, but then the grandkids and momma wouldn't be having christmas this year, and poppa would be out living in the back shed with his reloading press. cooking on a coleman stove. drinking from the faucet. peeing through the fence. you get the picture.

and getting the picture, how about checking out gullyborg's plaintive plea for votes for the jack of spades in the blogger deck? check out his entry here, and then scope out the voting rules and whatnot at aaron's.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

neither. get one of the new Kimber "Raptor" models!!!

11/7/05, 4:55 PM  
Blogger bothenook said...

you know, i have a kimber, and i like it, but that bushingless bull barrel on the SA keeps bringing me back to the spec sheet.

11/7/05, 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My decision making goes as follows:
a single-action or a double-action trigger, because it is easier to shoot. Avoid double-single triggers, they double the training issue, and if you are at all pressed for time in a situation, you will not need the added complication of figuring out how to shoot this time.
If you spend time in muddy trenches, or in blowing sand, or spend long times unable to clean, avoid a revolver. Revolvers are in theory, more reliable, but in practice, not as susceptable to abuse. If I am in Iraq, I want a semiautomatic. Around the house, I want a revolver. I have a 625 S&W for the bedside table, and a double barrel shotgun under the bed.
In a 1911 style, I look for the plunger below the barrel bushing. I want one there. I don't want an extended guide rod, because it provides an additional path for gunk to get into my spring and works.

Hope this helps

11/11/05, 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

should have been "resistant" not susceptable. sorry.

11/11/05, 7:22 PM  
Blogger edieraye said...

Santa was thinking about getting me a new gun for Christmas (a subcompact stainless steel Beretta, the kind with the tip-up barrel so my little girlie hands don't have to chamber the first round). My only comment is that it better come wrapped in a new sofa!

11/14/05, 7:31 PM  
Blogger edieraye said...

Hey! I don't see my comment. Either you didn't like it, or blogger didn't like it, or I hit the wrong key, or SOMETHING. Anyway it was about Santa Claus and a subcompact Beretta and new furniture.

11/14/05, 9:22 PM  
Blogger edieraye said...

Wait! Now it is back. I swear it wasn't there a minute ago. Honest. Must be time to back away from the computer screen - LOL!

11/14/05, 9:23 PM  
Blogger Chap said...

I've seen some folks complaining about Colt's quality control lately, and some folks complimenting the Springfield.

If I could afford Kimber I'd get one. But I am not. I'd probably go for something like the lightweight or the 13+1 Springfield, maybe the 1911 with the light rail.

And there's the nuts who made a .50 cal 1911A1....$3K! Ow!

11/22/05, 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own Colts, Kimbers and a few others. I don't agree with the double action of the Para and it's why I have never ownwd one. If I had to decide between the Springfield or the Para it wouldn't be to difficult. I'd go with the Springfield without hesitation. I'd skip the light rail though. They are cool to look at and neat to hang stuff from but forget carrying the gun in a standard holster or concealed. I would look at the standard TRP model and get a good flashlight. My 2 cents.

2/26/06, 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get either! The Para's LDA trigger is tough to get down, and the Springfield's internal locking system is an abomination to 1911s everywhere. Looking for an amazing gun for a price that won't leave momma and the kids thinking you're the grinch? Get a Kimber Stainless TLE II or TLE/RL II. Best guns I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

4/6/07, 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home